High Quality Blogging

According to Brandon Gaille, who has one of the top business blogs in the world, “172,800 blogs are added to the internet every day.” That’s over 63 million blogs every year! With so many people blogging, how can you make your blog stand out and become something worth reading?

First of all, you need to personalize your blog. Since your blog is a representation of you to the world, choose a theme that reflects your personality and style. Then customize your layout, choose your widgets,  and adjust your theme options.

As far as the content of your blog is concerned, we will be using the blogging rubric found here, created by Sylvia Rosenthal Tolisano, as a reference for what a quality blog looks like. There are 7 blogging characteristics and 3 commenting characteristics that we will help guide us.

Blogging Characteristics:

1. Quality of Writing – Organize your thoughts to express your ideas and reflections
  2. Voice – Write creatively and choose your words carefully
  3. Presentation – Use correct formatting, grammar, and spelling
  4. Multimedia – Include multiple pieces of multimedia to add new information or perspectives
  5. Community – Establish connections across the internet by creating relevant hyperlinks to add understanding
  6. Consistency – Update regularly
  7. Citation – Cite all sources of information and images

Commenting Characteristics:

1. Writing & Voice – State your idea or point of view in one or more well organized paragraphs
  2. Content – Make connections, bring in new perspectives and resources, ask questions, provide evidence, and, most importantly, contribute to a conversation
  3. Presentation – Use correct spelling and grammar and hyperlink your sources

Which of the blogging or commenting characteristics are the most difficult for you? Why are some more difficult than others? Which are you most excited about? How does blogging help you become a better writer?

Mr. Hoering

102 Comments

1. writing and voice will be the most difficult thing for me to do. Writing is difficult for me that others because it is hard for me to think of things to say. i am most excited about seeing what others write about. blogging makes you become a better writer because you are writing to others.

2. The blogging and commenting characteristics are most difficult for me are being consistent with blogging and being on content with my commenting. These are most difficult for me because being consistent requires being able to find something to blog about, each time you need to blog. Also, being on content while commenting is difficult for me because making connections and conversation on the Internet is hard for me. The most exciting thing that I am looking up to is to be able to learn to blog and to help others with my blog. Blogging could make me a better writer because it could help you learn how to deal with others opinion.

3. The blogging characteristic that is hardest for me is consistency because I am a very busy person that usually gets home late after practice or activities, and it’s hard for me to get homework done. Some are harder than others because everyone has a different personality and life, and some things are harder for people to accomplish. I am excited about people looking at my blog and reading it because I like when other poeple I don’t know like my online things. Writing blogs will help me to become a better writer because it will teach me how to relate to other people on the inter web, and help with with writing things I don’t understand.

4. The most difficult characteristic is the content because it is hard to make connections that some do not have. There might be some things that are difficult to others because they don’t have the same strength as what I have. I am most excited about having a blog of my own. It helps me be a better writer because I am learning to connect more.

5. I have trouble with multimedia with my blogging characteristics . I usually only have one or two good details when I comment . So I should work on the multimedia of my blogging characteristics . Some characteristics are harder for different people because it is hard for some people to work on different parts & have all parts amazing . I am most excited about saying what I think & posting it for people to see what I think . Having a blog will help us voice our opinions which some people do not do sometimes.

6. I think the hardest part of blogging will be bothering to write, I’m not a fan of school work. I’m most excited about is the actual writing it’s one of my hobbies. Blogging can improve your writing by letting you write more often.

7. The mot complicated part of commenting characteristics is content because I never really know what to say. Some characteristics are harder then others because for some of them, you would have to think about it. I am most exited to write in my own blog. Blogging can help me become a better writer and express what I feel.

8. The most difficult characteristic is writing and voice. That is more difficult than others because I have writers block. I am most excited about consistency. It makes me a better writer because people can read my writing.

9. I’m most excited about Voice because I’m a pretty good writer. Blogging can help to improve my writing skills because anyone can give me tips and other ideas just by commenting to one of my posts, and I can use those to become a better writer.

10. For me, the most difficult commenting characteristic is content. Some are more difficult than others because everybody is different and learns in different ways. I am most excited about voice. Blogging makes us better writers because you are learning new words/things that can be used for writing.

11. The most difficult ones for me are Multimedia and community. Some of them are more difficult than others because for some of them you have to do different things, life for one of them you have to do a relevant hyperlink. The one I’m most excited about is the Quality of Writing. Blogging will help me as a better writer because when I blog I have to express how I feel in the blog and I will learn how to do different things so it teaches me.

12. To answer the first question, I’m most worried about the content of the blog. Because I can make up very good arguments, but when asked to list evidence my brain goes fuzzy.

For the second question, some are more difficult for others based on the requirements needed for them.

For the third question, the one I’m most excited about is just writing the blogs in the first place.

For the fourth question, blogging can help a person become a better writer by helping them format what they want to say. It helps them learn to cite evidence in a formal manner. Blogging can also help a person expand their vocabulary. Giving them a wider ranged vernacular.

13. The blogging comment characteristics are more confusing to me, because when speaking or commenting, your words are sometimes different than the thought in your head. Not everyone has a clear answer on a comment, but we do in our heads.

Some are more difficult than others because some of the differences are thinking. Not everything you have to physically think, the commenting takes some labor. You have to find sites, answers, make connections, and so much more.

I am most excited about blogging characteristics, because this is when our blogs are formed. We are getting started, and it’s the start of a new beginning. It also seems a bit easier, considering we are getting started.

Blogging helps us become a better writer because in real life, all the grammar mistakes on technology help fix your mistakes. We can increase our vocabulary because of this.

14. The part that is difficult for me is that I find it harder to express how you feel through typing other than writing it or saying it out loud

15. I personally think that adding content, such as facts to support my claim or my story is the most challenging . I think it’s harder to write when you have to do research. I just want to write what’s already in my mind. I am most excited about voice, because I like to share how I feel. Blogging will help you become a better writer because you get to practice, and you get to see how others feel about your work.

16. 1) Voice because I am a get it done real quick guy so I don’t care to check my work. Which then my blog will be bad.
    2) Because they take more thought. You will need to use more creativity.
    3) I am excited to see other peoples blogs.
    4) I will be able to learn digital citizenship and learn new ways to write from other students.

17. The hardest part of blogging for me is having the correct spelling of words and thinking of what to write. Some are more difficult than others because I don’t work on others as often. My favorite is the typing and the reding my outcome. Blogging can help with any type of typing you think of.

18. I have trouble with the whole idea, meaning I can’t find the evidence that supports me. I think the part that is exciting it that learning of it

19. Writing is hard to me because I have trouble thinking about what to write. Some are more difficult than others because you might not understand as much about it as another thing.I honestly don’t get excited over writing. Writing helps you become a better writer by letting you express your feelings and it also helps your vocabulary grow.

20. Consistency and citation are the most difficult of the blogging characteristics to me because after I write something I’m not really good at citing the websites I use. I am also not very good at following a routine. I think that some characteristics are more difficult than others because different people have different talents. I am excited to be able to communicate with other people around the world and comment on posts. Blogging will make me a better writer because it will encourage me to write regularly and use new words.

21. 1:Community and Consistincy are hard for me because I am really busy so I can’t keep up on something that I do in class and don’t have to do at home.Plus I don’t get how to hyperlink ANYTHING.2:well others are not as much as a problem the really hard ones like community and Consistincy.3: I’m most excited about writing and speech.4:it teaches you how to write off of paper and correct grammar.

22. This blogging characterstics that are most difficult for me is the quality of the writing and how small it is.
    Some are more difficult than others because I’m not very good at longer writing
    Blogging helps me become a better writer because you can write about what you want.

23. The presentation characteristic would be the hardest to me. Some characteristics would be more difficult than others, because you may have to think harder than the other characteristics. I am most exited about the writing and voice characteristic. Blogging helps me become a better writer by helping me work on my grammar skills.

24. The toughest characteristic for me would be citation because I never feel like stating the website of where I get an image or a quote. Other characteristics will be harder for others because everyone has their own interests and likabilities. For example, a lot of people may really like math because it comes easy to them. Not me. I am most excited to do the consistency characteristic because I really enjoy checking my blog daily, even when nothing new has been posted. Blogging can he me become a better writer because blogging is an online version of writing. Writing about your life and other things will be very helpful. Okay, this is the end of my comment.

25. 1: Writing and voice is the hardest for me because it’s hard for me to use my voice and write about the question or topic. 2:Some are more difficult than others because it requires more thinking and skill.3: I am most excited about presentation because I want to show people what I knnow and learned about the topic.4:Blogging helps you become a better writer because it requires you to have specific requirments for your blog an that will make you get into the habit for when you write.

26. 1) I think the hardest characteristic of comenting is presentation and how grammar and spelling is.
    2)Some comenting characteristics are more difficult than others because they are all different
    3)I am most excited about be able to read other people ideas
    4)Blogging helps you become a better writer by helping you be able or express your ideas.

27. I think the most difficult characteristics of blogging is memorizing your comments. Spme of these are more difficult than others because some people might get it while others don’t.

28. Multimedia seems confusing to me because what I’m thinking its telling me to do is go on the media and find different info. Some are harder than others because some just require you to look in a book and then they require you to look through different sources. Blogging helps you understand other people’s view so that you can know what people enjoy or stand

29. One of the Christies of blowing that I do not understand is number 4 because I don’t understand how get started and how to surch and write that is what I think is hard for me.
    What I’m excited about is making speeches.

30. 1. For me 3, 6, ad 7
    2. Everyone has their own difficulty and every person Is different so everyone thinks differently.
    3. I think the voice one because it m creative.
    4. It helps you become a better writer by helping you express yourself.

31. The blogging or commenting characteristics are most difficult be me is commenting the right thing so that it makes since. Some are more difficult than others because you have to have your writing make sense it what your writing. I’m most excited about blogging. Blogging helps you become a better writer by teacher you how do grab the readers attention.

32. Writing is the hardest for a topic. Some are more harder cause we requir thinking skills. I would be more excited to see wat comes next.