About Mr. Hoering

Welcome!

The purpose of this blog is to allow students to safely and creatively publish their work, to share what our class is doing, and to maintain a central place for student resources. 

Facts about me:

• I’m married to my wonderful wife, Wendy, and we have two kids, Madeleine and Jordan
  • I am obsessed with IU basketball
  • My hobbies include photography, shopping at Costco, trying to stay in shape, and, of course, spending time with my family
  • Before teaching, I served for three years as a director of a youth center and as the youth pastor at my church
  • I graduated from the following schools:
    • St. Joseph Elementary School
    • Blackhawk Middle School
    • R. Nelson Snider High School
    • Indiana University (B.A. in Economics and English)
    • Indiana Wesleyan University (Transition to Teaching and Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction)
  • I love Teaching!

8 Comments

1. Dear Mr. Hoering,

My name is Mrs. Pfleegor and I teach seventh grade English in a middle school in Mississippi. I was searching the web for inspiration for an informative essay when I stumbled upon your website. What a cool idea to integrate learning and writing! I have a Google Classroom account with my students, and tried several other free online sites, but felt none have accomplished what I envisioned (which is what you have accomplished!). Can you tell me the benefits and any challenges you have faced since setting up your class blog? I am incredibly interested and extremely happy to have found this awesome site!

Thank you!
    Mrs. Pfleegor

• Mrs. Pfleegor,

Thanks for the positive feedback! The best thing about starting a class blog is that we now have a central location for all of the things that we do in the classroom. Since we use iPads in the classroom, we use lots of different apps and websites to facilitate learning. I also like the fact that students and parents have a place to go to stay informed of what is going on in our classroom.

Starting individual student blogs has also proven to be very beneficial. Students are able to customize their blogs, display their work publicly, and connect with others around the world.

The most difficult aspect of all of this has been taking the time to learn how to make the most out of using Edublogs and then teaching my students how to use it as well. Thankfully, Edublogs has a ton of resources to help get started and help students begin the blogging process.

Let me know if you have any more questions – I’d be glad to help!

Justin

2. whenever I try to post the pictures for the celebration pose it won’t let me. can I just write it out at home and post it at school

3. How frequently do you approve posts? I’m wondering because I plan to update my blog quite frequently. I already have two posts waiting.

4. I’m commenting on this because you are my favorite teacher. You definitely give the best high fives and this class is pretty easy!!